Day 3

Installed in Garden C (An allotment): Thursday 12th August 2021. Approx. 10.30am

Wednesday 25th August 2021. Approx. 3.30am

Changes noted: The calico on the panel had become dirty or possibly mouldy? There was some general fraying on the edges of the panel but particularly on the wedding dress fabric on the right of the panel where the threads had entangled themselves in the nearby brambles. I decided to leave this.

The panel in this garden/ allotment is sewn at its four corners to the plastic netting behind. The bottom left-hand corner had come loose and attached itself to nearby plants. Again, I decided to leave this.

There are words – a list of grocery provisions – written on the back of this panel, as you would write a shopping list on the back of an envelope. These were visible due to the sunlight, and the candle wax on the front of the panel in this area, on this day.

I was able to spend over three hours in the garden on this visit and so was able to witness and document the changing light and its effect on the textile panel. The following images were taken at approx. 6pm

Sunday 12th September 2021. Approx. 3.30am

Changes noted: A duller day when I visited this time so not the same amazing strong light that had given the fabric a translucent quality and created beautiful shadows as it had last time. However, it was still beautiful, the whole allotment as well as the textile panel changing. The edges of the fabrics are continuing to fray and more and more wrap around the plants surrounding the piece. A large piece of calico on one of the central panels had all become dirty/mouldy except where the wax is, meaning the text on the back of the fabric, immediately behind the wax, shows through much stronger. Interestingly the dirt/mould has caught much more in the wax and the white cotton (as well as the calico) at the bottom of the panel as it has in the rest of the stitched seed shape. Being at the bottom it is nearer the soil and plants so presumably this is the reason. Brown stains have appeared around the top of the fabric, I don’t know what this is from. It could be from the berries – raspberries and blackberries – above but there is not hint of any colour.

Sunday 3rd October 2021. Approx. 4.00pm

Changes noted: A brighter day, so the patterns of the fencing were reflecting through the fabric causing, once again, the grid patten to add to its overall design. There is a small brown stain from what I am not sure? The panel is surrounded by raspberry and blackberry bushes that I hoped might have added some colour through contact with the panel, but apart from this unidentified stain there is none – nature will surely do its own thing. The wedding dress fabric on the right of the panel has continued to fray and seems to have got a little dirtier. Some threads, at the bottom left-hand side have got caught in the Oregano, while others threads have got tangled on the brambles. Most striking was the mould at the bottom of the panel which has darkened this area quiet dramatically.

Thursday 14th October 2021. Approx. 10am

Changes noted: Depsite some blue sky today there were no grid reflections, at least at first, on the fabric which gave it a very different subtler feel. I was visiting at a much earlier time than I have done previously. Towards the end of my visit subtler reflections than before began to appear on the lower half of the panel and at a different angle, presumably the morning autumnal sun being in a different place. There were some beautiful shadows from the oregano projected on the panel too. Excitingly this time a pink stain – presumably from the adjacent raspberries. Threads have continued to fray and catch on the nearby plants causing the panel to twist in the wind – especially at the bottom. This was my final visit so I cut the stitches where it has been sewn to the fence and also took a picture of the shopping list of provisions that is on the back of the panel – sometimes more visible from the front depending on the light. 

The space where it had been.